Monday, April 11, 2011


I went to visit my aunt today for her birthday party. She will be 69 tomorrow. When I walked in the door, I saw her before she saw me. In that brief second I felt an overwhelming sadness. She sat there in her chair looking a little tired and she only had a few tufts of hair. All of her beautiful red hair from years gone by was gone and replaced by a patch of grey here and another very thing one there.
Then she saw me and her beautiful face lit up with a smile that could light up a city. She never ceases to amaze me. As I posted previously, she's had a rough life, but my gosh she continues to smile and laugh as best she can.
The strokes, the cancer, the chemo and life in general have taken their toll on such a kind woman. It's often difficult to understand how things work, why some people and not others.
Throughout the day kids and grandkids, family and friends popped in and out bringing memories, gifts, food and hugs. Her birthday cake was pink with bright daffodils on it and a very childlike demeanor revealed itself. She was simply in awe.
At one point she called me into her room and showed me various things. She finds pleasure in the smallest and most simple things. We laughed a bit before she said that sometimes she really does want to scream and curse. I told her to feel free, just do it and let it out. She said, "I could, you know.. I could. But I won't." And that moment of anger was soon gone and she lifted her head, smiled and went on like her world was a dream and she the princess.
She showed us her hats and her favorite is a black, what I call "diva" hat with rhinestones on it. When she tried it on and did a little modeling, she actually shimmied in a dance a bit before her body reminded her those things were no longer possible.
Cancer is evil, but I'm so very happy to see that she refuses to let the evil take total control. I'm even more happy I took the time to visit. Wonderful people like her deserve the good bits of happiness they can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment