Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Here I sit staring out the front door windows in the living room, gazing at the snow covered grass and just feeling the cold as if I were outside on the deck. For as far as I can see there is snow covered land and tall trees in the distance. No neighbors, no houses or buildings of any kind interfering with the serene scenery.

It is cold and I'm covered in a fuzzy Christmas blanket with pictures of Christmas trees and Santa. In the corner is a Christmas tree lit in green, blue, yellow and red lights and gold tinsel. There are candy canes and red ornaments as well and the bottom of the tree is surrounded by wrapped presents flaunting various holiday themes.

The news is blasting the winter forecast that is planning on hitting us this weekend in the form of rain changing to snow last Saturday night with very frigid temperatures. Just this week I broke out my winter jacket. I feel like an Eskimo when I wear it and it definitely keeps me warm. Winter is not my favorite time of the year. I do enjoy a good snow fall, but if I could have my wish I'd have it snow for Christmas just enough to make things pretty and then quickly melt away.

I have been following the news detailing the number of people homeless right now. People are actually sleeping outside in this weather. It is terrible. I do realize sometimes people make their own beds, but there are many who for various reasons have things happen outside of their control. I have never been homeless nor have I been hungry, not truly hungry, so I cannot even imagine it. I have been down and poor and through rough times, but I am very thankful for my family support that I have had to keep me going. I imagine there are many people that do not have family, friends or any other kind of support system in place.

I think tomorrow I might make a few phone calls and find a place to volunteer. The holidays make it more apparent that people need help. It shouldn't take the holidays for me to think of helping others and I am sorry for that, but it is a start that hopefully will be put to good use and continue for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment