Sunday, December 12, 2010

My kids, my family

I grew up imagining the perfect marriage with my knight in shining armor, white picket fence and all the trimmings.  That didn't happen.  I did get married but he was far from a knight in shining armor.  I have two wonderful kids as a result and I wouldn't trade it or exchange it for the world, though.  And that is what this is all about really.

Me, my son and my daughter.  We have always been like the three musketeers.  We've added a few to include his girlfriend and her boyfriend.  There are very rare moments when I wonder if we're as close and then something like tonight happens and I just get thankful and burst with love and pride and joy.

The weather is terrible.  My son was out with his girlfriend and her family for her birthday dinner.  My daughter was at work.  My daughter was texting me to let me know that her boyfriend was coming to get her because he didn't want her driving on the roads.  Almost at the same time my son sends me a text and asks me how his sister is getting home because he does not want her driving on the roads and that he'd get her if necessary.

That's family and love and yes, it reminds me of why my kids are important to me.  People come and go in my life, but my kids are always there and I am always there for them.  We care and love each other and make sure we're all taken care of.

Sometimes we're selfish and sometimes we don't agree, but always we are a family who wants the best for each other and will always have love.

I am thankful.  I sometimes feel like I haven't done a lot in life, so many negative things have happened and it's a blessing to know I have such wonderful, amazing, responsible, happy and loving kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment