Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Aunt's Passing


My aunt passed away this morning. She went into the hospital early Thursday morning with pneumonia on top of her lung cancer. At approximately 9:55 a.m. she took her last breath. It was a sad moment. As I watched her trying to breath this morning I was really upset. She was so clearly struggling and fighting for each breath she took. The doctors and nurses were doing as much as they could to keep her comfortable in her last moments.
I was amazed, and yet not so surprised, at how many people came to see her over the past two days. So many people that I hadn't seen in years and twice as many that I didn't know. These strangers to me came to see her because at some point in their life my aunt had taken them in when they had no where to go, fed them, clothed them or offered some kind of care and support. She never asked anything in return and most often I know she could have used some help herself in some way or another.
My mom, another aunt and I went shopping for her. We picked out a beautiful dress that we knew she'd love. I've learned that funerals are for the mourners, but the funeral should represent the individual. My mom and aunt were a bit upset at first that instead of flowers on the casket, my aunt expressed to have an afghan spread out on it. I had to remind them that her wishes were important and we're not out to impress anyone. A few other things came up and I believe I finally made them both understand that a funeral doesn't have to be perfect - life certainly never is - so make her (my aunt) beautiful in that last viewing and say goodbye. Grief the loss of her, not the loss of useless flowers on the casket.
Good people come and go from our life in so many ways. I'm glad I have the memories I have and cannot express the importance of spending a little time with those we care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment