Thursday, February 3, 2011

Migraines

MIGRAINES.

I have lived with migraines since I was 15. I cannot remember the last day in my life when I didn't have some form of a headache. Day in and day out.  Fortunately I have been able to control the mild daily pain.

It is the butt kicking, tear starting, want to pull my hair out, curl up in a ball, don't make a noise or turn on a light days that do me in.

I have noticed that certain things trigger these. Cigarette smoke, PMS and not sticking to a routine with meals and sleep are all prime triggers.

Unfortunately when I do cross that line into migraine status, it takes days for it to fade and sometimes a week or more for it to completely go away.

I am on the trail end of one right now. It ruined a good night with a great friend, although great friend said it didn't. It took almost two entire days from me, dang thief. And it steals moments randomly throughout.

I have tried so many different medications, little "tricks of the trade" and secrets people have shared with me. I tried Maxalt, Imitrex, Topamax, Zomig and Midrin. I have tried the don't eat certain foods plan and various relaxation techniques. Every over the counter migraine medicine has been ingested by me and most often all of this just triggers a rebound headache of some kind.

The only thing I have found that truly works is a good shot of Toradol, Phenergen and Benadryl. Makes me loopy and then puts me into a deep, uninterrupted sleep. I wake up a little groggy at first, but then back to normal.

Migraines are worse than any pain I have felt. By far worse than giving birth and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment