Thursday, February 3, 2011

That honest mirror

At the top of the stairs on the landing is a huge mirror. I am guessing that it is 4x8 with a gold ornate frame. After my shower, I stood in front of this mirror critiquing myself.

As I looked at my naked body, I thought back in time to when I was younger and my body was firm. I turned to and fro, checking myself out from all angles and comparing to years gone by. Over the years I have gone from a size three when I got married to my current size 14.

I have gone from small perky breasts to more full and somewhat sagging breasts. My flat stomach has been invaded by stretch marks and some soft flesh and my hips have broadened into more womanly curves. My skin is not as baby soft or silky smooth and my hair is cursed with grey here and there.

After standing for a while, I sat down in front of that honest mirror.

I touched my nipples, pulling them out and looking at them like they were the oddest things on earth. I spread my legs and gently explored, all the time my mind drifting to different moments in time. There is that scar on my knee and the cellulite on my thighs. This wasn't a sexual experience. It was just a "me" moment. A mere woman remembering, and perhaps longing a bit for the past, but ultimately accepting.

As I looked at myself, I smiled. Perfection was not looking back at me, but a beautiful, content and happy woman was. Years ago, I might have been more firm in places, but I would have never been able to sit in front of the mirror like that.

Time ages us all in various ways. For some the looks fade more quickly than others. For others the mind tends to go first. I believe I am aging gracefully in all areas. I am not afraid to admit in 25 days I will be 42.

I am a woman of today. See me for who I am and appreciate and love every part of me right this minute. I do.

So there I sat in front of that mirror pondering who I am and how I look today. I painted my toes right there and right there I put on my night cream.

Then I smiled. A goofy, wrinkled eye-twinkling, no makeup, honest to goodness just me smile.

And then I ran down the stairs like a kid, slid across the hardwood floors in the hallway and landed here on the couch to tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment