Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Family

A couple of months ago my mom moved to Florida.  My oldest brother followed her.  I'm glad she is not down there alone.  She loves it.  She is active and making friends.  I was worried about her before.  Since my dad passed, she was spending her time sitting at the kitchen table doing nothing but smoking cigarettes.  She previously lived in the country.  It was very nice and peaceful, but she didn't have neighbors and rarely interacted with anyone except church or when we would visit.  Our visits weren't as often as would have been nice.  All the kids have jobs and lives of their own so she was very lonely.  Now, in Florida, I can hear the happiness in her voice when I talk with her.  My brother seems happy there as well.  I wish he would lower his expectations and standards and live a little.  He's so uptight sometimes.

My kids.. :)  well, they are awesome.  My son and his fiance will be getting married in one month.  They both are doing great.  My son's business has really taken off and his workload just gets heavier and heavier each day.  His fiance is on her way to her RN.   My daughter and her fiance bought a house and should be closing within the month and they will be getting married in three months.  My daughter is on her way to her RN, although she is currently taking a break from college and deciding if that's what she really wants.  Her fiance just got a promotion at the bank he works for.  I don't think I could be more proud of them.  They have turned into content, mature, responsible adults. I am happy.

Sometimes I wish my family got together more and were a more close-knit family.  My sister and her family are good people, but she is moody at times and sometimes so sensitive you have to watch everything you say around her.  I don't like that.  My other brother and his family are kind of distant.  He is temperamental and easily angered.  We do our best to get along and we probably do more than I am giving credit for.  It is amazing just how different we are.  Raised by the same parents, but all night and day.

I am not perfect.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly have flaws and one of them is I am more of a loner and prefer quiet times and small groups.  After spending too much time in crowds and such, I need down time.

So, alas, like everyone's life, mine isn't perfect.  My family isn't perfect.  But we are good and life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment